Investigation Continues Into Fire Aboard Trident Fishing Vessel

The f/v Kodiak Enterprise. File photo via Trident Seafoods.

An investigation continues into the fire aboard the Trident Seafoods’ 276-foot fishing vessel Kodiak Enterprise on April 8 while the vessel was moored in the Hylebos Waterway in Tacoma, Wash.

The Kodiak Enterprise had returned to Tacoma in late March on the heels of the groundfish A season and was there for maintenance.

In a statement released at the time by Trident Seafoods, in response to a request from Tacoma television station KIRO 7, Trident Seafoods said they did not know the cause of the fire, were cooperating with the investigation, and would conduct a thorough review of its shipyard maintenance safety protocols with internal and external experts.

At the time the fire began, the Kodiak Enterprise was reported to have an estimated 55,000 gallons of diesel and 19,000 pounds of freon onboard.

The Unified Command composed of the Tacoma Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound, Washington Department of Ecology and Puyallup Tribe of Indians, plus several other agencies, has stepped down, now that all the diesel remaining aboard the vessel has been successfully removed, with no fuel spilled or sheening observed during defueling operations, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Prior to that, responders alternated between removing fuel and pockets of water to maintain vessel stability.

Incident commanders expressed their gratitude to those engaged in the response to the fire that the fuel transfer was efficient, and no diesel released, nor was there any loss of life.

Trident Seafoods chief executive officer Joe Bundrant said his company was grateful for the support and collaboration of all agencies and parties in fighting the fire and stabilizing the vessel.

“The Kodiak Enterprise is more than just a fishing vessel to the Trident family, especially to her crew,” he said.

In February 2021, the Trident Seafoods vessel Aleutian Falcon caught fire while moored in the same location.