The Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation announced its full slate of winners for the 2022 Alaska Symphony of Seafood on Thursday, Feb. 24, including three first place prizes for Edmonds, Wash.-based Alaskan Leader Seafoods.
Alaskan Leader Seafoods’ Wild Caught Alaskan Black Cod in Japanese Miso Marinade won both the Seattle People’s Choice and the Juneau People’s Choice. Alaskan Leader’s Wild Caught Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon also took the inaugural Bristol Bay Choice award, as chosen by the Bristol Bay Regional Seafood Development Association, a competition partner and major sponsor.
“Alaskan Leader did an excellent job highlighting the quality of Bristol Bay Sockeye, something our fleet has worked extremely hard to improve and maintain season after season,” Bristol Bay Regional Seafood Development Association marketing director Lilani Dunn said. “The Alaska Symphony of Seafood is a long tradition in our industry, and the BBRSDA is excited to be a partner and to have our own category.”
The winners then took the whole show to Boston earlier this week for Seafood Expo North America’s Seafood Excellence Awards.
“For the first time, we are especially proud to say that three of the Symphony’s first place winners are in the top 10 finalists in the Seafood Excellence Awards, a national competition,” said Julie Decker, executive director of the Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation. “This demonstrates that the Alaska seafood industry is a national leader in product innovation and that the Alaska Symphony of Seafood is an excellent path to a national stage.”
All six of Alaskan Leader Seafoods’ new products were available at booth 1647 on the show floor at Seafood Expo North America at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. The event took place March 13-15.
The full list of 2022 Alaska Symphony of Seafood category winners is:
- Grand Prize — Waterbody with Deep Blue Sea Bath Soak.
- Salmon — Ocean Beauty Seafoods with Echo Falls Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon, Tapas Sliced, Mediterranean.
- Whitefish — Neptune Snacks with Cracked Pepper Wild Alaska Pollock Jerky.
- Bristol Bay Choice — Alaskan Leader Seafoods with Wild Caught Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon.
- Retail — Ocean Beauty Seafoods with Echo Falls Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon, Tapas Sliced, Mediterranean.
- Foodservice — Seagrove Kelp Co. with Alaska Grown Ribbon Kelp.
- Beyond the Plate — Waterbody with Deep Blue Sea Bath Soak.
- Seattle People’s Choice — Alaskan Leader Seafoods with Wild Caught Alaskan Black Cod in Japanese Miso Marinade.
- Juneau People’s Choice — Alaskan Leader Seafoods with Wild Caught Alaskan Black Cod in Japanese Miso Marinade.
“Today’s consumers more than ever are seeking convenient and healthy meal options. Delicious value-added products made with wild, sustainable Alaska seafood meet this demand,” said Jeremy Woodrow, executive director of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, an event sponsor. “We always look forward to the new products showcased at the Alaska Symphony of Seafood. From miso blackcod to Alaska pollock jerky, ASMI is very excited to see the direction Alaska seafood products are headed.”
Other major sponsors of the event included the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, At-Sea Processors Association, Marine Stewardship Council, Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association, Bristol Bay Economic Development Corporation, Marel, Kwik’Pak Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Association, Trident Seafoods, UniSea and United Fishermen of Alaska.